reSound™ NF Natural Fiber Reinforced Formulations
Sustainable automotive light weighting without compromise on performance
reSound™ NF natural fiber reinforced solutions can help your company easily transition to a lower-density material that provides a high level of mechanical performance required for challenging applications. It is a highly engineered, strong and sustainable alternative to glass fiber reinforced formulations, with densities 5 to 10 percent lower than comparable glass fiber formulations. The superior thermo-mechanical properties of reSound NF solutions are a result of the novel process used to manufacture them. Customers can process these specialty polymers with standard machinery and tooling at low injection molding temperatures.
The combination of superior performance and low density makes reSound NF solutions an excellent choice for technical applications in many industries. In automotive, PolyOne has identified more than 15 potential applications in passenger vehicles for these formulations.
This new solution offers lower density and more favorable LCA (Life Cycle Analysis). Compared to other natural fiber reinforced solutions, reSound NF offers significant mechanical property improvements in tensile and flexural properties, heat deflection temperature, and impact strength.
- 5 to10 percent lower density than comparable solutions with similar mechanical performance
- Bio-based, reducing the carbon footprint at the beginning of the product life cycle
- Injection moldable in standard equipment and in existing molds
- Low abrasion generated on tooling, low processing temperatures
- Ability to reuse virtually all scrap